๐”– Bobbio Scriptorium
โœฆ   LIBER   โœฆ

Some aspects of the early history of kew observatory

โœ Scribed by F. J. W. Whipple


Publisher
John Wiley and Sons
Year
2007
Tongue
English
Weight
764 KB
Volume
63
Category
Article
ISSN
0035-9009

No coin nor oath required. For personal study only.

โœฆ Synopsis


Abstract

Kew Observatory has been a centre for scientific research since 1842, when the use of the building was granted by the Crown to the British Association. The first Superintendent, Francis Ronalds, designed apparatus for the investigation of atmospheric electricity and was a pioneer in the application of photography to recording meteorological elements. Under his successors John Welsh and Balfour Stewart the photographic apparatus was perfected. Beckley's anemograph and recording rain gauge were also developed. The records of sets of meteorological instruments were skilfully combined by Galton in the charts published by the Meteorological Office in the Quarterlyy Weather Report, wherein the sequence of weather at seven Observatories was displayed. The work of Kew Observatory as a standardising institution was also of great importance to meteorologists.


๐Ÿ“œ SIMILAR VOLUMES


The early history of antimony
โœ Hyman, Harry ๐Ÿ“‚ Article ๐Ÿ“… 1924 ๐Ÿ› Wiley (John Wiley & Sons) โš– 294 KB